Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quirks

Why do I always forget to eat? Why do I cook things and then walk away, then come back two hours later and find them? I did this again yesterday.

I suppose it's just a quirk. My youth pastor back in California (a long time ago) used to have a strange problem in which he would pick things up without noticing. If he was deep in a conversation, you could sneak up to him and put something in his hand and walk away, and he would grab it automatically and keep talking. Then 5 minutes later he would finally notice that he was holding a book/magic marker/rubber ducky, and would go, "All right-who did this? Who was it this time?" And all the kids would giggle.

I think it's something similar to that.

I also sometimes talk without meaning to. It's a problem. It's like sleep-talking, but without the sleeping part (speaking of which, get a load of this guy.) I just start mumbling what I'm thinking, (but I think I'm only thinking it) and then I notice people looking at me and I think, was I just talking? Or was I only thinking? And then someone goes, "What did you say?" And I scoff and go, "I didn't say anything."

Yesterday in the car back from Ikea, I was lost in thought and then I noticed Micha looking at me strangely and I thought, was I just talking out loud? And if so, what did I say? And in what language?

When I first got an ipod I had to listen with just one ear bud in, because if I listened with both I would accidentally start singing along in public!

I guess some people just have their heads in the clouds. Some of us say what we're thinking on accident, and some of us pick things up on accident. To paraphrase Elizabeth Gilbert, some of us have only one foot on the earth, and really, really long legs.

1 comment:

  1. I like that quote at the end :)
    And I do that too...singing in public if I have earbuds in...it's like I'm in my own little world in which EVERYONE is listening to exactly the same thing as I.

    ReplyDelete