Friday, July 16, 2010

Learning to ♥ NY

Really tall buildings. AC. Ice water. Free bathroom usage. Amis* on the streets, Amis in the U-Bahn,* Amis on the television. What a weird place!!

Drinking on the street isn't a thing, but you can see the calorie count of your muffin before entering the bakery. That's handy, to finally use this word correctly.*

I feel like a foreigner!! And not just because (as I've quickly realized) I associate all officialdom (hotels/the bank/police/service industry) with the German language and keep having to stop myself from talking to shop clerks, tellers, waiters and strangers in German.

ChrisnRochelle, first night in town!
Look at this nonsense. Funny that the number on the label is not the price.
Furry...?
What? Was macht der Kölner Dom auf Manhattan?
Eiffelturm, gleiche Frage.
Erich and Fouad, the ying and yang of coolness.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, great place to spend a humid afternoon.

Siren Music Festival on Coney Island tomorrow, I think. That will make fun.

Yeah.

Chin up.

I really just want to go back to Germany. Oh, how I miss you, love.

Author's Note:
  1. Ami: slightly judgmental German nickname for "American"
  2. U-Bahn: subway
  3. In Germany, cell phones are called Handys, leading to the common German misconception that the word handy means cell phone in English.


No comments:

Post a Comment