Monday, June 14, 2010

Slightly atypical in Berlin

At the breakfast table, oddly enough.

On my third trip to Germany's capital, I was free of the pressure to take pictures of the Reichstag and the Brandenburger Tor and the Dom, so I decided to capture things that were just plain interesting.
An anti-Capitalist march ("Die Krise heißt Kapitalismus").

Discovered amazing cafe called Kauf Dich Glücklich, complete with creepy stuffed fox guarding the door.

Erich in front of a sparkly store which sold, among other things, urban hipster outfits for infants.

My goodness. Trip to Berlin for my Final Seminar with the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Procrastinators was saved by a certain half-Austrian kook. Thank God for Erich...

I strongly dislike being kept in large groups of Americans, which is what we always have to do at these seminars. I think after a year in Germany these people have sort of incubated and become more American than before (cultural incubation: has someone coined this term already?). I can't believe some people lived in Germany for a year without learning the language! And I can't believe the program leaders had to address the topic of alcoholism at the beginning of last week's seminar!! How humiliating.

I winced so much to hear people complaining to the organizers of their prestigious scholarship program. Perhaps it bothered me because I heard a bit of myself in their complaints: I was unhappy living in Erfurt for a solid 3 months myself (frigid temperatures, uninviting former living space, long commute, no internship possibilities in my field, loneliness) and I know I must have whined about it at some point to my friends, but I would never blame the people who flew me here, handled my paperwork and covered the bulk of my expenses. At least not loudly, to their faces.

We had another cultural trainer, like we have had at other seminars. And like we have done at other seminars, we drew on flip-charts, talked about German-American stereotypes, did role play exercises, slurped free coffee and didn't take things seriously enough.

(Let's talk about more positive things now)

I spoke a lot of Amerikanisch, which rang cheerful and sloppy in my ears. ("Like junk food that you speak," commented my freind Boombox once.)

We were guests at the Bundestag and at the new American Embassy. The American ambassodor to Germany greeted us and offered precious American commodities like Dr. Pepper and free water with ice cubes.

After the week-long seminar closed, I stayed with Erich in Potsdam, in order to hang out longer in the city.


(Like insignificant coincidences)

While getting lost in Berlin, we ran into Jens, from Aachen, who I stayed with during that last trip to Nord-Rhein Westfalen with Claudius and Daniel. He walked past me and I thought I recognized him, then dismissed it as impossible. Then he doubled around to ask me if there were any cool parties to go to in the neighborhood, and I ventured to say, "Haven't we met before?" and he said, "Don't think so." Then I reminded him that I stayed at his house in Aachen and that his name was Jens. That seemed to ring a bell.

The weird thing was, out of such an absurd coincidence came nothing of significance. We talked for a while and then went our separate directions. That was it.

(This sort of thing would never, ever happen in a film. In a film, it would have been Fate which brought us together. Something amazing would need to result from our encounter. We would have found each other for a Reason. But apparently, the cosmos just had coincidences to spare that evening. That was all. Like bakeries who toss out perfectly good bread at the end of the day.)

Enough. Gute Nacht, Berlin.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I felt like I could have written that part about international youth conferences' obsession with exterminating stereotypes through flip-board exercises, as well as the weird phenomenon where dumb American kids go overseas somehow get dumber (and louder and more disrespectful and more culture-ignorant) and then get together at the end of the year and complain nonstop about the horrid injustices of the program and the people and the country that just provided them with an amazing year abroad. Argggghhhh can you tell this all frustrates me!? Oh well, at least now I know someone else shares my pain.

    ReplyDelete