Saturday, April 10, 2010

Knives and Candy: A weekend well spent

Obligatory Sandmännchen photo
I picked up Boombox/Michael at the train station in Erfurt, full of the incredibility of it all- seeing a friend from San Luis Obispo, here in Erfurt? Wild! We cooked, went to a wine bar and then stomped around at Stadtgarten, where a band called Supershirt was playing.

After we had seen the sights of Erfurt, we caught a Mitfahrgelegenheit (ride) to Berlin.  We met up with Alena, saw her new Friedrichshain apartment, met her new boy, went dancing at a place called Suicide Circus.

Alena's neighborhood is quite hip, and oddly enough is home to lots of young parents. I spotted a building covered in peeling posters and graffiti and assumed it was a club until Alena pointed out that it was a daycare.

Boombox: "Those are going to be some savvy kids."

Indeed. There was also a 10-cent vending machine selling, funnily enough, knives and candy. Thus the following photo sequence:


What could it be?


Knives and candy!

Ten cents? I've got that.



Just candy. That's boring. 


Oh wow. So much is going on! More to come when I am not so distracted tearing Erfurt apart, washing laundry, touring the Cathedral, eating homemade tortes and/or drinking beer in front of the police.


I leave you with some unexplained images from Berlin:












1 comment:

  1. hehe my favorite is the chandelier in the bike basket...wouldn't I love to hear the story behind that one! :)

    p.s.- I'm glad you had a friend from the U.S. visit...my friend Garrett came to visit me in Belgium for a week towards the end of my year there, it was the neatest way for me to rediscover all the novel things about Brussels, revisit and relive my own first memories in those places, and simultaneously say goodbye as I prepared to go home. It was sad at times, but so wonderful to see Garrett reveling in the new discovery of such a great city. And in some way it was like pre-therapy...filling the void I would feel when I got back to the States. :) Enjoy it.

    p.s.s- Remember when we used to write notes to each other and the end would go:

    Love, Shirah
    ps...
    pps...
    pss.....
    ppss.....

    hahahahah :D

    ReplyDelete