Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Space-age milk, no Skippy and drinking on the street: It's the little things

I used to live next to this factory.
During his visit to Germany, Boombox kept a travel journal. In it he made lists. There were important new German words, such as Mitfahrgelegenheit, Pfand, Zigarette, and Entschuldigung.  But he also noted small things which were a bit different from home. I helped contribute to the list, which looked something like this:
  • Space-age, non-refrigerated milk
  • Telephone/shower hybrids
  • Landlines
  • Leaving at midnight to go clubbing
  • No peanut butter
  • Toilet separate from bathroom
  • Apparently smarter animals
  • Drinking alcohol on the street
In fact, that last one was the shock of the trip. Michael was rather impressed that the checkers at the store did not care how old he was as we bought a crate of Köstritzer Schwarzbier, and by the fact that we were allowed to open it on the street. When I told him this news, he was not inclined to believe me, thinking, as the date would suggest, that it was an April Fool's joke.
I looked to my roommate Robert to back me up on this ("Please assure my friend it's okay to drink on the street."). Robert, seeing an opportunity to screw with someone, put on a somber face and said, "Oh no, I wouldn't advise this."
"See?" Said Michael triumphantly. "I knew she was making it up. Almost got me."
That settled it. I cracked one open, handed it to Michael, cracked another open, cheersed (um, what is anstoßen in English?) while making eye contact, which is very important in Germany, and set off for downtown to find a police officer to drink in front of, thus solidifying the fact that this is %100 legal.

Michael mit zwei Bier vor der Polizei. Unglaublich. 


"Ungeöffnet ist unsere H-Milch auch ohne Kühlung 3 Monate haltbar. Sie ist in ihrer 1-l-Verpackung somit ideal zum Bevorraten. Die klassischen Fettgehaltsstufen 1,5 % und 3,5 % und ihr voller Milchgeschmack machen unsere Milch zu einem puren Genusserlebnis." -Osterland Milk Website

 Creepy.







1 comment: